Vitalis Health & Home Care provides care, companionship and assistance for people at home, in retirement villages and in aged care facilities. Sometimes government subsidised home care and individual care in facilities isn’t quite enough and a little bit of extra help makes all the difference.

Vitalis Health & Home Care can also provide transitional hospital to home services to help settle back into home and ensure you have everything you need to aid in your recovery. This can include high level clinical services including Hospital in the Home.

We know how difficult it can be for families who are working or live away from their loved ones to cope with the everyday needs of an elderly or ill relative. Help may be needed for just a short time or may be ongoing.

Vitalis Health & Home Care can tailor a personalised home care package that suits you and your family, to give you the care you want, when you want it.

I’m a little worried about Mum. Since we lost Dad last year Mum has lost weight, she’s become more forgetful, and when I visited her on the weekend I noticed the garden was completely overrun with weeds. I can see she needs some help but I work fulltime so can only get over there on the weekends. What can I do?

There is a range of subsidised and private services available to help people stay safely at home. The first step is to encourage your Mum to have an assessment of her health and care needs so she can see what is available and what she’d benefit most from. Often what’s needed is companionship and a little extra help with things like shopping and meal preparation, light housekeeping and activities that engage her interest and help her re-establish social connections.

I had a fall at home a few weeks back and fractured my hip and wrist. I’ve been recovering in hospital and am almost ready to be discharged. I want to go home but I’ve been told I’ll have to go into residential care as I’m not able to look after myself yet. I’m worried that if I agree to go into residential care I’ll never get back to my own home again. Are there services that would enable me to stay at home to recover?

Yes there are both subsidised and private home care services that can help you recover at home. Ask your discharge planner whether the hospital offers home-based care services that can help with your healthcare needs and whether you can have an ACAT assessment before discharge that might unlock some government-subsidised home care services. You can also engage a private home care provider to provide transitional hospital to home services as well as personal care to assist with your recovery at home. Vitalis Health & Home Care can also help with nursing care as well as complex Hospital in the Home services when required.

Since Dad was diagnosed with dementia last year he has been increasingly difficult to manage at home. Mum can barely leave the house as Dad is so anxious when she’s not there. They’ve had a few instances now where Dad has called 000 when he can’t find her, even when she was just out the front talking with a neighbour. The only option seems to be residential care for Dad but neither wants to be separated. What can they do?

Advancing dementia can be quite challenging and the burden on carers is significant. Having a comprehensive assessment, assistive technology and an experienced caregiver to assist at home can reduce the stress and give full time carers a much needed break to attend to their own needs, even having a haircut or seeing a movie with a friend, knowing their loved one is safe and well cared for. Activities can include regular walks to improve communication and prevent wandering, medication reminders, music therapy, memory games and conversations about family histories. Vitalis Health & Home Care skilled staff can also monitor for physical and mental changes that may indicate underlying conditions such as pain, depression or hearing loss that contribute to a patient’s anxiety. Home care can enable your parents to continue living together at home and enjoy better Quality of Life.

After being diagnosed with breast cancer and having a mastectomy in June, I’ve had to continue with radiation therapy and chemotherapy which has left me feeling sick and exhausted. My family have been really supportive but my husband needs to get back to our family business and my parents will need to return to Brisbane at the end of the month. I really want to stay at home but I can’t cope on my own. Are there services that can help me through this?

Yes there are many services that can assist you through this period. First, ask your clinic nurse what services you can access through your treating hospital. You can also engage the services of a home care provider to help you manage your healthcare and personal needs at home. Vitalis Health & Home Care has an integrated model of care that extends from helping you with the basics such as meals, transport and appointments right through to organising medications to help with pain relief and nausea, wound care and physiotherapy services. Vitalis Health & Home Care also has a dedicated team of HITH nurses who provide complex Hospital in the Home Clinical care, enabling you to minimise your time in hospital and recover in the comfort of your own home, while continuing to receive any high level clinical care you may need.

My husband isn’t managing like he used to and has needed help with things like showering and dressing for over a year now. We’ve had someone coming in for about an hour most days to shower and dress him but I’m finding he needs more help than that now. Whenever I go out I’m worried he’ll have a fall or will forget which medicine he’s meant to take at which time. What can I do to make sure he is safe?

Your husband may be eligible for a higher level of care than he’s getting at the moment. If you feel his needs have changed, talk to your service provider to see if he can be reassessed. You can also supplement your subsidised care with care provided by a home care provider. Vitalis Health & Home Care is more than just a home care agency. Vitalis provides a range of personalised home care services including comprehensive assessment, care provision, falls monitoring technology, medication management and respite care.

After a bad fall my mother moved into residential care last year. I try to get there as often as I can but the nursing home is more than an hour from my home and even further from work. I’m worried she is quite lonely there. I’ve noticed she’s more withdrawn and some days she isn’t even getting out of bed. I know the staff there are good but they’ve a lot of people to care for and I don’t think they’ve much time for a simple chat or to spend the time that’s needed to encourage Mum to walk. How can I get more care for her?

Staff in residential care facilities often don’t have time for the small things that can make such a difference to older people’s lives. Sitting and chatting over a cup of tea, asking about family history or historical events, bringing in a favourite meal or finding music that bring back long lost memories are just a few things that a Vitalis Health & Home Care companion carer can do to improve your mother’s Quality of Life. They can take the time that residential staff can’t give to encourage her to increase her mobility and social connections, and can coordinate additional services such as physiotherapy if required.